Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Meeting the Locals.

It was raining a lot today so we decided to wait until tomorrow to go shopping in St. Remy.  I tried a new confiture today that Padi made, citron and some sort of melon that only grows here.  Most of you know I don’t like melon,  but this was great!  It was sweet and tart…with the perfect amount of citrus.


After breakfast, Padi, Didou, and Marie-Cesare went to the supermarket, and I decided to stay home.  My dad had called and I wanted to call him back (luckily he gets up early in the morning for work).  We had a good chat and the biggest news to report from Lawrenceburg is that the Post Office ran out of stamps on Friday. HA…isn’t that hilarious?! I thought all of my college friends would really enjoy that. 

We finished the creche today.  It looks great! Its so much work…for just a few days, but isn’t that a lot like Christmas?  They have most of the characters, and Didou gets a new one each year. 




For lunch today we had lamb chops and roasted zucchini with olive fougasse that Padi got from the bakery this morning.  Always a piece of fruit after the meal as well.  Perhaps some almonds or walnuts if we’re still hungry.  I am enjoying sitting around the table at every meal SO much.  Even breakfast.  This morning, Marie-Cesare crept up the stairs to wake me up for breakfast.  It’s good for Marie-Cesare to see me eating with the family, and good for me to have something new to try at every meal! 





Watched a few more episodes of Little House on the Prairie with Marie-Cesare and tried to get her to take a nap but she refused.  We made cupcakes this afternoon!  It was so American.  We didn’t have a muffin pan, so we just placed the cupcake papers on a sheet pan…it was strange.  They turned out all funny shaped, but tasted delicious!  We made them with lemon zest.  Didou said she bought the cupcake papers at an American store in Paris and they were very expensive.  I never thought about France not having things like that….so funny. 



Went to play with a couple of her friends around 5.  Their grandmother is friends with Didou.  I am meeting so many locals.  Its something I would have never done otherwise, and I'm glad they know so many people here.  I actually could understand most of the conversation...even with the southern accent!!  I, of course, rarely interject with something to say...I'll have to work up to that!  One of the little girls drew me a picture.  It was so sweet.  Marie-Cesare was of course was content with them, but as soon as we got home she was raging with a bad attitude. 

Had some delicious goat cheese with dinner.  It was covered with fresh herbs and peppercorns.  Also, teeny cheese-filled ravioli with fresh basil and olive oil.  She partly fried them with breadcrumbs.  No sauce, just olive oil = the best. 


I think I’ve watched the films Marie-Cesare has at home a million times?  There is this movie here, Caroline et ses amis, and I’m pretty sure I’ve watched it at least 10 times already.  That’s what we did tonight.  She fell asleep around 9 which is amazing, although unfortunate for Padi and Didou because I'm sure she will wake them up early.

Missing my family as Christmas gets closer.  Wish I was at home helping plan Mimi's grand Christmas Eve feast!!  Making the most of Provence, and excited to share such a wonderful time with such a great family.  I am so thankful that they have opened up their home and all of their traditions to me.

Listening to the rain fall on the roof as I fall asleep tonight is quite a treat....

1 comment:

  1. Maggie, I think that you are doing a great job of making a French Christmas for yourself, with your 'borrowed' family, as a way of not feeling too much the distance between you and your real family. It sounds as if you have very good friends in Padi and Didou; I really like the way you describe them, especially Didou. Their hugs (if they give you some) are not as good as mother and daddy hugs, but would probably be a pretty good substitute for you, and in only a little over a month's time. In a way, Christmas is all the build up to the actual day, more than the day itself, and your new life is teaching you about a new way to build up toward the holiday. And, when you wake up on Dec 26, you give yourself a great big hug and pat on the back for getting through Christmas with pizazz.

    When I see your Mom this coming weekend, I know that our hot topic of conversation will be about you and your adventure. I'm looking forward to sharing it with her. (She is pretty super, isn't she?)

    Merry holiday, Maggie. And keep eating new things so that I can enjoy them through your descriptions and your photos.

    ReplyDelete