Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Arles.

Marie-Cesare has this fascination with the Monopoly game that is in my room.  I think its because its off limits, so she always asks to play with it.  I really don’t see the big deal (Padi either), I always put everything back where it belongs, and back in order…but Didou doesn’t like her to play with it (maybe it’s a grandmother thing).  We cleaned up the disaster of a room I have with all the toys and colors and books…and got ready to go to Arles. 

It was about a 30 minute drive and it rained the whole way.  Not a very good day for picture taking.  We were going to a church that has an international Santonniers display.  I didn’t really know what I was getting myself into…again, just along for the ride.  As we approached Arles, it was a rather industrious city….on the outskirts anyway.  Gas stations, car lots, factories, etc.  We parked in a parking lot near the Rhone and walked on towards the city center.  The further we got into the center, the more historical things became.  It’s not as pretty as Provence, but still everything is old with so much history.  And those famous blue shutters that make it Provencal. 

The church was beautiful inside and out.  We walked in, bought our tickets, and climbed up an old winding staircase to a room filled with crèche display cases.  There were rooms upon rooms of nativities from all over the world.  Not so many from the US obviously, but from Europe and Canada mostly.  A few from China and one from Australia.  People take this very seriously and it’s a huge part of their religion and daily life especially this time of year. 








After, we went looking for lunch.  We came upon a huge amphitheatre in the center.  Unfortunately it was close for construction, but is reopening in the summer for all the tourists...like me!  After walking down some other historical streets, we found a restaurant that was built around an old garden.  I ordered gnocchi (Italian I know), a salad with tomatoes and olives and we all had gaufres (spelling?) with chocolate for dessert.  (A very typical French dessert) There was a huge pile of Chantilly cream on the top and I basically ate it by itself.  Also had a small serving of chocolate ice cream.  The ice cream was made with chocolate from a nearby boutique, and had bits of the chocolate in every bite.  Yum…..

The city of Arles had several activities for children all over the town today.  Not sure if that is a regular thing, or just for Christmas.  They had this manege like we saw yesterday, except it was definitely older.  I don’t know if you can see it from this picture, but there is a man pedaling to make it turn.  He is also turning the wheel for the music.  Of course, I had never seen anything like this and thought it was hysterical. 


On our way back to the car, in the Place du Forum a man was putting on a show for all the children.  Marie-Cesare was lucky enough to participate. 




This is the café in one of Van Gogh’s paintings.  And other views….The Grand Hotel Nord-Pinus where Picasso lived and Hemingway frequented and other various famous people stayed while in town.  The city of Arles has something secret about it, yet is still open to everyone.  It is calm and quiet and still comes off as festive!  


None of us slept very well last night, so we were all irritable and tired.  Stopped by the Monoprix in Arles for what I thought would be a quick trip but we were there for an hour.  Marie-Cesare and I looked at all the makeup, but not before she put her hands on every single palette of eye shadow and wand of mascara.  Directed her towards the books, where we found Martine and Caroline and were able to read until it was time to go. 

Didou taught me how to make a delicious dough for tarts, quiches, etc. tonight.  She was making a bunch ahead of time for this weekend so I thought I would join in. 

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve…and I’ll have to say I haven’t missed my family too much until now.  It’s so weird not to be home helping my mother cook all sorts of good things and taking presents to their various locations.  Our Christmas Eve dinner here will consist of scallops, risotto, lots of French cheese, and foie gras.  It will certainly be delicious, but different!  I am making the best of everything and couldn’t be welcomed by a better family. 

Everyone keeps telling me I am not missing much, but I love being with both of my families so much! It’s one of my most favorite times of the year, and since my family has grown almost twice as much…I love it even more!! I hope they all know I’ll be thinking about them, maybe not for Mimi’s Christmas Eve gathering because I’ll probably be sleeping, but Christmas morning for sure!!!

1 comment:

  1. We have just had a wonderful visit with Terri and Pat and Laine, Christy and the girls. Lots of giggles while the girls opened their many presents; and of course, the more they opened, the more excited they became about the real haul they will get tomorrow. Kaitlyn wants a phone from Santa; I can't imagine my kids at 8 asking for a cell phone! Your mom did very well talking about your being over there; I think she feels that you are in a very good place for now and if you can't be here then it's OK for you to be where you are.

    Personally, I would love to be eating some foie gras and some French cheeses for Christmas dinner tomorrow; we have to settle for steak because Elena (the birthday girl tomorrow) does not like/abhors turkey, etc. I hope it's good steak.

    Now it's time for you to look forward and think about how you plan to celebrate New Year's Eve there in gay Paree. You have one week to plan the most frenchified new year's bash you can think of. Pommes frites? pommes do terre? pom-pom's? Get on that one, Maggie.

    Merry Christmas Day to you. Love and kisses.

    ReplyDelete