Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Friday, December 3, 2010

La Bibliotheque.

Went to the library after school today with Marie-Cesare.  I made sure before we went in that she was going to be very quiet and good and bribed her with a pain au chocolat.  I didn't know how she would react in a such a quiet environment so I wanted to be sure she was absolutely silent!  She looked at me like I was crazy.  The first floor of the library was immaculately clean and quiet.  She led me upstairs to the children's area.  It might as well have been a playground.  And there was no silence.  Children were wailing for their mama's and their papa's and everyone was tossing books about the room.  (Now I understood why she looked at me so funny when I told her silent.)  So, after that I wasn't too concerned.  The librarians were telling children to be quiet and giving nannies and au pair's death glares.  In fact, I was reading a book to Marie-Cesare and this kid comes up and starts crying.  The librarian came to me and said, "keep him quiet" in French and since I don't think that it's my place to scold anyone except Marie-Cesare I quickly said, "Il n'est pas mon enfant!"

The books are in bins around the room with the letters of the alphabets on the front of the books...a much easier system for younger children to understand than all those card catalogues we have in the States.  And of course you have your "princess" bin, "chanson" bin, and the bin of books that says "Je reste ici"  (I stay here) that you can't check out.  We stayed for about an hour and then headed home, stopped to get her pain au chocolate just like I promised because she in fact, was one of the best kids there.  Amidst all the chaos I didn't think to take any pictures but I'll definitely take some next time we're there.  

Was suppose to have to babysit tomorrow, but Chloe said she doesn't think she'll need me.  Hopefully I'll be able to go do something fun with Ashleigh again...explore more of the city or something!  Then Sunday maybe the Louvre?  Opened the cheap bottle of Bordeaux I bought and it was absolutely delicious.  Having some hot tea and madeleine's before bed and watching the newest episode of Parenthood!  

No comments:

Post a Comment