Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Monoprix.

Monoprix is one of the most convenient yet most awful things I can think of to do in Paris.  I have talked a little about them before but I feel the need to have a rant.  They are on every corner, and have just about every household item you could ever dream of....but....

1.  They have these stupid little carts that sit on the ground with a long handle and a basket on the bottom...much like a suitcase.  Although this may seem like a great idea... their aisle's are no wider than a yard stick.  2 people cannot fit down an aisle if those 2 people have "carts."  (In Lawrenceburg we call them "buggies" but I quickly learned in college that that definitely isn't correct.)

2.  They stock things all day long.  Instead of like a normal store...they clog their aisles with huge pallets of items all times of the day.  

3.  Since the "carts" are so inconvenient they offer baskets for the smaller shopper.  Too bad there are only about 20 total...definitely not enough to go around.  Most people wander in and out of the aisles with armloads of random items. For example:  me.

4.  It smells....  Bad.  I don't know why or how or what it is...but every Monoprix has the same smell about it.  

5.  They don't refrigerate eggs.  Obviously it is still safe to eat them (and I have) but its just one of those things growing up with all kinds of rules and regulations about dairy, meat, etc. and refrigeration... It just weirds me out.  


6.  People that shop at Monoprix feel that its necessary to only buy 1 bottle of water or 1 carton of milk (which most isn't refrigerated as well) so, they take it upon themselves to rip open the plastic and just take what they need.  This of course leaves the shelves in shambles with packaging and random bottles everywhere!  


7.  The employees.  They are rude, arrogant, and they SIT at the cashier's desk checking you out.  That would not fly in the good ole U.S. of A.  They don't care how big of a hurry you are in, how long the line is, and if you can't count the right change?! Forget it!! They take their precious time...there is no rushing a Monoprix employee.  

8.  You have to bag your own things.  Yes, as the last person is finishing up, your items roll down to the end of the line and you bag your own items while trying to pay and avoid the cold glares from the people in line behind you.  If they would hire 3 more rude people to bag items...I swear people would get in and out a lot quicker!  

On the other hand there are a fewwwww good things...like this amazing electronic pricing system. 


They do have every range of crowd pleasing products for the average French family.  They also have a pretty nice wine selection.  I just bought a bottle of Bordeaux for 5 euros.  We'll have to see how it tastes.  Nevertheless, I go there because its convenient and it's fairly priced.  I also go probably every few days just so that I can avoid having to get a "cart."  Oh, and because it's rough bringing too much stuff up my stairs!  

Was able to Skype with my mom AND Melanie and Landon today!!! So exciting!! Landon is getting SO big and is talking SO much...I couldn't believe it!  Very glad they got a webcam so I can practically see him grow before my eyes!  

Wishing my mom a wonderfully fabulous trip to the Cayman Islands with her girlfriends...she deserves it most of all-especially after this year!  

1 comment: