Pages

Since I am new to "blogging," don't expect this to be anything overly impressive. This whole concept seems strange, but I am hoping my family and friends can keep up with what I'm doing while in Paris for a year two years!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Market in St. Remy

Yes, apparently most of Europe is snowed in....but not us!  

All piled in the car this morning and headed to Saint Remy for a little shopping and the market.  On Wednesdays all the local vendors come to the village center and sell their goods…fruit, vegetables, quilts, clothes, meat, bags, jewelry, etc.  There were quite a few people there today, although Padi told me that in summer it is packed...and that you can hardly move around.  We first stopped at a small meat market set up in one of the town’s squares.  The first thing I saw was a boy, about 12 years old, whacking the head off of a chicken.  He then proceeded to pick the eyes out and put them in a cup.  There were probably 50 other chicken eyes in this cup.  I don’t know what he was going to do with those chicken eyes….and I really could care less.  It was awfully disgusting. 

I met a few more locals, always being introduced as Maggie, the guardian of Marie-Cesare, an American.  Roughly translated.  Everyone always goes, Ohhh! From the United States!  And here I can’t decipher whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing.  Hopefully good!  We bought some vegetables for Didou to make soup tonight, and she showed me around a few other places in the village.  It makes me really excited to come back this summer when things are green and there are even more things at the market to choose from! 





Afterwards we came back to the house to have lunch.  Sausage from the charcuterie in Maillane and rice, also a baguette with the last of the Camembert. 

Marie-Cesare and I put on some makeup for our next outing, and colored a picture for Monsieur Victor the ménage owner/director.  I have taught her how to write the letter “M.”  She adds a few more MMM’s to the end, but hey….thats okay.  We headed to Chateau Estoublon, which is about a 20 minute drive from Maillane.  I wasn’t sure what we were going to do there, I am usually just along for the ride. 

Chateau Estoublon is a huge house, well…chateau, and its beautiful!! There are acres upon acres of vineyards and olive trees surrounding the property.  The chateau was purchased by a family from Switzerland a few years ago, and everything is clean, neat, and typical Provencal.  There is this small chapel on the property that had a crèche inside which Marie-Cesare was very interested in. 






For Christmas, Monsieur Victor had his merry-go-round set up in the courtyard of the chateau.  There was also a small “spectacle” for children only with people dressed up like fairies and pere noel, pony rides, crepes, and sucettes.  While that was going on, Didou and I went into the chateau gift shop to have a look around.  Olive oil was 25 euros a bottle. That’s crazy.  You can get better at the market for 8 or 9 euros.  Wine was 30-40 euros a bottle…didn’t try it, but of course its commercialized here in France, so you can get it everywhere.  They have a huge rose garden that I also can’t wait to go see this summer. 

On our way back we stopped to check the mail and Marie-Cesare had received a letter from pere noel!!! How special is she?!  I feel like I’m kind of reliving my childhood now,  and remembered when I use to get letters and phone calls from Santa.  It was probably my Uncle Rick, Uncle Wade, or Bobby Belew….but sure I believed it then!  It was AWESOME when Santa would call me while we were eating dinner on 100 Springer Drive and I could tell all my friends at school the next day. 

Our afternoon snack today was bread with olive oil and fresh herbs.  Simple and delicious as always! 



Marie-Cesare was pretty good today…and sweet to me.  I hate to say that’s all that matters, but its important to me that I become her friend this week…so when we return to Paris things may be easier.  


Dinner tonight was ham, salad with pine nuts and parmesan, a small piece of meat from the charcuterie wrapped in puff pastry, and the delicious soup Didou made.  It was yummy!  She cooked down all sorts of veggies and pureed them in the blender.  Some creme fraiche swirled on the top-perfect!  After dinner we watched the international circus on tv that's performed in front of the Prince of Monaco.  Marie-Cesare laughed so hard...we all did!  Tomorrow we are suppose to be going to Arles, a town nearby.  Last day before Chloe and Franck arrive!  I only hope they can get here because of the weather!  

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I was in Arles once, a long time ago - 30, to be exact. We watched an incredible bullfight in the large Roman arena. The bulls were not stabbed, but point of the confrontation was for the matador to merely snitch a lock of hair from between the bull's ears, using something like brass knuckles with hooks. No blood. Lots of drama. We loved walking around that town. It was there that I first realized that Hotel de Ville was not a motel franchise but was city hall!

    I would highly suggest that you put the little town of Carcasonne on your travel must-do list. It's a 14th century walled castle city and definitely worth getting off the beaten track to visit. We ate a marvelous cassoulet there and have never forgotten it. It's a ways out of Provence, I think, but maybe a weekend trip in the spring or summer.

    Another suggestion: When you get back to Paris, go visit the Saint Chappelle, a small stained glass cathedral in the vicinity of Notre Dame but, in my opinion, more unbelievably beautiful, delicate, different, unusual. And take the good camera. It's a treat.

    Merry Christmas to you. I probably won't be back on too much while I'm away at Murfreesboro, but I'll be thinking about you and talking about you with Terri. Have a fun holiday with little kids who believe in pere Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Maggie!! Just thought you'd like to know that my grandmother (my dad's crazy mother)was born in St. Remy! Her parents started a pastry shop in town... I'll have to ask her what the name is and if it is still there. They moved it to Marseille when the shop got popular, so not sure if the one in St. Remy is still there! On your way to Arles, you might go through St. Etienne-du-Gres... that's where we stayed (10 years ago ahh!) with my great aunt and some other family members. We travelled to Arles for a day. It all gets mixed up in my mind but I think this is where we saw a Roman arena. Also we have a creche exactly like theirs! Obviously it's from my grandmother. It's so beautiful, I love it! Have you been to any of the little shops where they make the characters? Anyway... thinking of you and hope your Christmas is wonderful!
    Joyeux Noel :)

    ReplyDelete